Chi-Ru Jou is a Partner and Head of the Securities Litigation Group at JS Barkats PLLC.
Ms. Jou has been selected as a Rising Star of New York Metro (top 2.5% of the bar as ranked by peers) by Super Lawyers of Thomson Reuters for every year since 2013. Her practice encompasses corporate and securities litigation as well as complex general commercial matters and intellectual property litigation. Her experience in securities litigation and enforcement includes representing financial industry clients and real estate investment firms in large-scale securities class action lawsuits and multi-district litigation proceedings. She has also conducted several financial sector investigations into the auction rate securities, mortgage-backed securities and complex options practices of major investment banks. With regard to her general commercial litigation background, she has represented both plaintiffs and defendants in disputes involving breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, commercial torts, employment matters, real estate, as well as cross-border litigation. In addition, she has litigated intellectual property cases, including several patent infringement lawsuits.
Representative matters include:
- Representing a major investment bank in internal investigations of its auction rate securities and mortgage-backed securities practices;
- Defending a manufacturer of infrared cameras and marine navigational equipment in several patent infringement lawsuits, obtaining favorable settlements;
- Representing a cable company in a contract dispute with one of its biggest customers, prevailing in opposition to the motion to dismiss and obtaining a favorable settlement afterwards;
- Defending a private equity firm against preferential and fraudulent transfer claims in federal district court and obtaining a dismissal of all claims;
- Defending a private equity firm in a securities fraud multi-district litigation involving over a hundred parties and obtaining dismissal of a customer breach of fiduciary duty lawsuit as well as a favorable settlement of a securities class action;
- Defending a major insurance company in a securities class action alleging insurance and reinsurance accounting fraud and obtaining a favorable settlement.
Prior to joining JS Barkats, Ms. Jou was employed at several prominent New York law firms including the renowned litigation powerhouse Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP. In addition, she has served as a judicial clerk to the Honorable Alan E. Norris of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit. She has published articles oncommercial litigation and intellectual property topics in the New York Law Journal, Bloomberg Law Reports, Virginia Journal of Law & Technology and Virginia Sports & Entertainment Law Journal.
Ms. Jou is a graduate of Columbia Law School, where she was named a James Kent Scholar (top 8% of the class). She also holds an A.B. magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappain Philosophy from Harvard University, an M.A. cum laudein Music Theory from Yale University, and a D.M.A. cum laudein Piano Performance from the Juilliard School. Her love of law and music both date back to her childhood, when she won regional honors as a member of her high school debate team as well as debuted with the Seattle Symphony Orchestra as a piano concerto soloist at the age of sixteen.
Ms. Jou is admitted in the state of New York, the Southern District of New York, and the Second Circuit.