Sunny J. Barkats, Esq is the founding Partner of JSBarkats PLLC.
Mr. Barkats is recognized as a top corporate and securities attorney by his peers and Thomson Reuters’ subsidiary Super Lawyers, in New York, (as published in the NY Times) for 2014.
Mr. Barkats principally represents both established and publicly traded emerging growth companies, both domestic and foreign, in a wide variety of industries. He also represents venture capital firms, investment banking institutions, high net worth individuals and other investors.
His principal experience has been in private placements, mergers, acquisitions and dispositions, SEC compliance, public offerings, general 1933 and 1934 Act matters and strategic business relationships. He also represents issuers, underwriters, placement agents and others as well as lenders and financial participants, in mergers and acquisitions, IPOs, private equity, private placements and PIPE transactions. Mr. Barkats’ core practice focuses on the representation of small and mid-sized companies, particularly in the internet, defense, biotechnology, and “green” technology industries. Mr. Barkats is also a pioneer in crowdfunding and speaks on the JOBS Act on T.V and when solicited by conferences and industry professionals. It is under his leadership the firm became the national leader in Reg. A offering in 2013 and 2014 closing more financing than any other firm or even all firm combined nationwide for those two years.
Prior to founding the JSBarkats PLLC law firm Mr. Barkats built the Securities & Capital Markets group at an old mid-sized Manhattan firm. Mr. Barkats practiced with leaders in the alternative public offering (APO) and PIPEs community, such as at the international law firm of Haynes & Boone, LLP in New York, and the leading PIPE firm of Sichenzia Ross Friedman and Ference, LLP, where he experienced the current evolution of the industry and its ramifications for issuers. Because of his experience working with various clients across many major sectors and access to institutional relationships, Mr. Barkats is uniquely positioned to provide expert advice and insight to help companies attract and retain capital while complying with SEC requirements. Mr. Barkats is a frequent speaker on securities and business law topics.
Board Membership & Certification:
- American Friends of Likud Young Leadership Board Member, 2007
- Founder of JusticeAngel.com legal crowd base financed start-up
- Harvard School of Law, 2002, PON ADR, Certified Negotiator (Alternative Dispute Resolution)
- NY Licensed Real Estate Broker since 2005
- PADI Deep Sea Diving Instructor 1997
- FFDP Diver certified France 1999
News Articles and Publications include:
- Sunny J. Barkats Named Among Best Corporate Securities and Finance Attorneys in New York by Super Lawyers® for 2014
- Crowdfunding: Coming Together to Build a Better Tomorrow
- The Bipartisan Legislation That Is Balancing Power in America
- “Le Secret Bancaire”(Bank Secrecy) in Avignon School of Law Journal Original October 20, 2000, and on July 20, 2009 Re-edited and updated version for the Switzerland Chamber of Commerce.
- “To Go Private Or To Go Dark, That Is the Question” Published in the April 2009 Issue of “Equities Magazine” E-link: http://www.equitiesmagazine.com/article_to_go_private_or_to_go_dark.php
Select Client Representations:
- Represented a provider of financial data in its $60 million sale to an Asia-based financial information services conglomerate.
- Represented an information technology solutions provider in its $28 million merger with a leading provider of enterprise computer technology solutions.
- Represented a Technology security software company in a shelf registration concurrent with a $10 million SEDA financing.
- Represented an Asia-based manufacturer of biodiesel and specialty chemicals in a reverse merger and subsequent $15 million PIPE financing.
- Represented a provider of fixed wireless broadband services in: a reverse merger and concurrent $15 million PIPE financing; and a subsequent $40 million registered direct offering.
- Represented two telecommunications subsidiaries in registered public “spin-offs” from a diversified multimedia and transportation services holding company.
- Represented a manufacturer of genetic analytical products in a reverse merger and concurrent $10 million PIPE financing.
- Represented an investment fund in its unsolicited $45 million cash tender offer for a national retailer of fine jewelry.
- Represented sponsors of domestic and offshore investment funds focused on PIPEs, venture capital, activist investing, registered securities and real estate in fund formation, operating compliance and transactional matters.
- Represented alternative energy(wind) company with a $50 million Reg. S Offering; and
- Represented Crowdfunding like transaction for $4.3M raise via social media for a Real Estate Deal.