Dwayne Bentley is Counsel with the I.P Group and Litigation Group at JSBarkats.
Intellectual Property (IP) attorney with over 15 years-experience in the industry. Dwayne is a personable and sharp attorney with excellent analytical and creative skills and a proven track record in both the public and private sectors.
Dwayne supports the firm’s clients by litigating their cases in the Federal Courts, Supreme Court and before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
In addition from 2016 to 2017 Dwayne worked at the U.S DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE VIRGIN ISLANDS, St. Thomas, Virgin Islands
Where he acted as an Assistant Attorney General, Criminal Division, where he prosecuted misdemeanors and felony cases before the Supreme and Superior Courts of the Virgin Islands.
Dwayne Negotiated. plea deals with Defendants and argued Motions before the Supreme and Superior Courts.
Dwayne at JS Barkats as been instrumental in obtaining ICO Token Procedural Patents for the firm’s clients and describe complex token and blockchain technology from an Intellectual Property stand point of view.
In addition to litigation and patent litigation, Dwayne has expertise in Patent prosecution in the Software and programming field. Production of quality patent applications.
Portfolio management of over 100 patents/patent applications. Provide clients with quality counsel on IP and civil matters.
From 2006-2009 Dwayne worked at GE HEALTHCARE, in Piscataway, NJ where he handled mainly Life Sciences patent prosecution
Dwayne’s scope of expertise includes:
- Filing a large amount of patent applications
- Prepared and filed over 30 electrical, mechanical, software and design patent applications in the U.S., such as a system and method for automated column packing, a mixing container apparatus with internal circulation and a system and method for characterizing a filtration device
- Managed Intellectual Property Portfolios containing over 100 patents/patent publications to determine if the patent/patent publications should be retained
- Conducted Freedom to Operate Analysis regarding third party intellectual property rights and conducted brainstorming sessions with various scientist/inventor groups
- Drafted, negotiated and managed licenses regarding GE technology and third-party technology developments
- Organized and coordinated the due diligence of IP portfolio of acquisition MicroCal Company was valued over $90 million
- Analyzed IP portfolio for due diligence conducted for the acquired Whatman company where the acquisition was valued over $700 million
- Coordinated with the BioOptics Patent Evaluation Board to build and sustain a Fluorescence Image Guided Surgery Portfolio and I was awarded a Lanceister Award 2
- Provided IP analysis for the OEM GeneQuant Nano Spectrophotometer, where the spectrophotometer had projected revenue of $3 million
- Managed outside counsel that led to a settlement of an interference with Sigma-Aldrich, where GE would obtain 5% of net sales of Sigma-Aldrich’s products
From 1998– 1999 Dwayne worked at the UNITED STATES PATENT & TRADEMARK OFFICE, Crystal City, VA as a Patent Examiner (Group Art Unit 2814, Class 257 and 438)
Examined patent applications in the field of Semiconductor Devices.