- LL.M in Banking and Securities law from Boston University School of Law
- Juris Doctor (equivalent) degree from the “University Avignon Pays of Vaucluse”, School of Law in France
- State of New York Bar
- Business Jurist at law France
- Fluent: English/French/Hebrew
- Proficient: Spanish/German
Sunny Joseph Barkats, Esq., Partner
Sunny J. Barkats is the founding Partner of JSBarkats PLLC and the head of the
Securities/Capital Markets practice group in our New York office. Mr. Barkats
principally represents both established and publicly traded emerging growth companies,
both domestic and foreign, in a wide variety of industries. He also represents
venture capital firms, investment banking institutions, high net worth individuals
and other investors.
His principal experience has been in private placements, mergers, acquisitions and dispositions, SEC compliance, public offerings, general 1933 and 1934 Act matters and strategic business relationships. He also represents issuers, underwriters, placement agents and others as well as lenders and financial participants, in mergers and acquisitions, IPOs, private equity, private placements and PIPE transactions. Mr. Barkats’ core practice focuses on the representation of small and mid-sized companies, particularly in the internet, defense, biotechnology, and “green” technology industries.
Prior to founding the JSBarkats PLLC law firm Mr. Barkats built the Securities & Capital Markets group at an old mid-sized Manhattan firm. Mr. Barkats practiced with leaders in the alternative public offering (APO) and PIPEs community, such as at the international law firm of Haynes & Boone, LLP in New York, and the leading PIPE firm of Sichenzia Ross Friedman and Ference, LLP, where he experienced the current evolution of the industry and its ramifications for issuers. Because of his experience working with various clients across many major sectors and access to institutional relationships, Mr. Barkats is uniquely positioned to provide expert advice and insight to help companies attract and retain capital while complying with SEC requirements.
Mr. Barkats is a frequent speaker on securities and business law topics.
Board Membership & Certification:
- American Friends of Likud Young Leadership Board Member, 2007
- Chairman of the Board of Mango Mix Holdings, Inc, high-end restaurant chain, 2007
- President of BFR Real-Estate Opportunity Fund I.
- Harvard School of Law, 2002, PON ADR, Certified Negotiator (Alternative Dispute Resolution)
- NY Licensed Real Estate Broker
- Deep Sea Diving Instructor
- “Le Secret Bancaire” (Bank Secrecy) in Avignon School of Law Journal Original October 20, 2000, and on July 20, 2009 Re-edited and updated version for the Switzerland Chamber of Commerce.
- “To Go Private Or To Go Dark, That Is the Question” Published in the April 2009 Issue of “Equities Magazine” E-link: http://www.equitiesmagazine.com/article_to_go_private_or_to_go_dark.php
Select Client Representations:
- Represented a provider of financial data in its $60 million sale to an Asia-based financial information services conglomerate.
- Represented an information technology solutions provider in its $28 million merger with a leading provider of enterprise computer technology solutions.
- Represented a Technology security software company in a shelf registration concurrent with a $10 million SEDA financing.
- Represented an Asia-based manufacturer of biodiesel and specialty chemicals in a reverse merger and subsequent $15 million PIPE financing.
- Represented a provider of fixed wireless broadband services in: a reverse merger and concurrent $15 million PIPE financing; and a subsequent $40 million registered direct offering.
- Represented two telecommunications subsidiaries in registered public "spin-offs" from a diversified multimedia and transportation services holding company.
- Represented a manufacturer of genetic analytical products in a reverse merger and concurrent $10 million PIPE financing.
- Represented an investment fund in its unsolicited $45 million cash tender offer for a national retailer of fine jewelry.
- Represented sponsors of domestic and offshore investment funds focused on PIPEs, venture capital, activist investing, registered securities and real estate in fund formation, operating compliance and transactional matters.
- Represented alternative energy(wind) company with a $50 million Reg. S Offering